Hot days, warm nights, and fabulous foliage everywhere- when it comes to summer, there’s a LOT to celebrate! Summer and gardening go together like picnics and fireworks, but it’s not always easy to get a gorgeous, professional-looking porch planter when you’re battling against the extreme heat and blazing sunshine of a Southern summer.
That’s why we partnered with designer Steph Green of Contained Creations® to create a fabulous, foolproof party-ready planter pair that shines all summer long! A seasoned Virginia gardener with a decade of experience creating dazzling containers, Steph is no stranger to the challenges of creating container combos in the Southeast.
“Summer in the south means hot weather and humidity, but the abundance of blooms and lush landscape invite us to adorn our outdoor spaces. As we make the most of outdoor living during the longer days and warm evenings, a beautiful planter can make any space feel celebratory and colorful.”
Drawing inspiration from the easy elegance and country charm of the 2023 Southern Living Idea House, Steph designed this recipe for a pair of porch planters that are perfect for framing a doorway or outdoor staircase. Jam-packed with vibrant texture and long-lasting color, this cool combo can last from summer through fall.
Tips for Getting the Look:
- Reach new heights by adding Diamond Spire® Gardenia as your thriller. With an elegant upright habit and intoxicating fragrance, Diamond Spire offers aromatic white blooms.
- Give the container volume with ‘Sunshine’ Ligustrum. Its electric yellow-green foliage hums with excitement.
- Add Purple Pixie® Dwarf Weeping Loropetalum to the edge of the container, where it cascades over the edge with its richly hued foliage.
- Inject a few seasonal blooms between the shrubs. Steph recommends a pretty pink bloom like Peach Glow Little Lucky™ Lantana, Gomphrena, or a bubble gum pink Dipladenia as shown here to play off the purple of the Loropetalum.
- Flip the design of the first container as you construct the second so that you have a matching pair, ready to flank either side of a doorway.
Keep on Growing
Combining plants seems complicated when you’re just getting started, but with a little know-how, the right plants, and an easy-to-follow plan, it’s a snap! Steph from Contained Creations makes it easy, with a plethora of perfect planter plans and terrific tips you can create at home. For detailed instructions on this planter recipe, endless container inspiration, and courses to help you grow your knowledge (not to mention some fabulous plants), visit the Contained Creations website and Instagram.
Shop the Plant List
Is your porch ready to party with this celebration in a container? Pick up the plants you need below!