Unwrapping the best of 2023! The Southern Living Plant Collection has had an incredible year, and these top sellers are the stars of the show. From vibrant blooms to bright greens, these plants stole the spotlight and brought joy to gardens everywhere. Cheers to a year filled with growth!
1. Sunshine Ligustrum: Taking the spotlight at number one is the radiant Sunshine Ligustrum. Known for its bright, golden foliage, this evergreen shrub has been a shining star in gardens, adding a burst of sunshine to every landscape. Its versatility and low-maintenance nature have made it a top choice for Southern gardeners seeking both beauty and ease.
2. Purple Daydream Loropetalum: In the second spot, the Purple Daydream Loropetalum has mesmerized gardeners with its captivating deep purple foliage and vibrant pink blooms. This compact beauty has become a go-to choice for those looking to infuse their gardens with a pop of rich color while maintaining a tidy and manageable size.
3. Purple Diamond Loropetalum: Following closely is another Loropetalum variety that has left an indelible mark on Southern gardens. The Purple Diamond Loropetalum, with its striking purple foliage and radiant pink flowers, has added a touch of elegance and drama to landscapes throughout the year.
4. Jubilation Gardenia: Jubilation Gardenia has secured its place as fourth, enchanting gardeners with its fragrant, velvety white blooms and glossy green foliage. A true Southern classic, this gardenia variety has continued to spread its sweet scent and timeless beauty.
5. Obsession Nandina: At number five, the Obsession Nandina has captured hearts with its brilliant red foliage that intensifies as the seasons change. This compact and low-maintenance shrub has become a favorite for those seeking year-round interest and dynamic color in their gardens.
6. Everillo Carex: Adding a touch of ornamental grass allure to our top 10 list is the Everillo Carex. With its striking golden foliage and graceful arching habit, this carex variety has brought texture and visual interest to gardens, earning its place as the sixth of 2023.
7. Baby Gem Boxwood: Seventh in line is the Baby Gem Boxwood, a true gem for Southern gardens. With its compact size and rich green foliage, this boxwood variety has become a staple for formal landscapes, adding structure and a touch of classic elegance.
8. Purple Pixie Loropetalum: Another loropetalum making a third appearance in our top 10 is the Purple Pixie Loropetalum, securing the eighth spot. This ground-hugging beauty has continued to charm gardeners with its cascading purple foliage, creating a stunning ground cover or container plant.
9. Red Diamond Loropetalum: In ninth place, the Red Diamond Loropetalum has added depth and vibrancy to gardens with its dark red foliage and eye-catching brighter red flowers. This versatile shrub has proven its resilience and beauty, earning its place among the top-selling plants of the year.
10. Lemon Lime Nandina: Rounding out our top 10 bestsellers is the Lemon Lime Nandina, bringing a refreshing twist to Southern landscapes with its chartreuse foliage. This compact and colorful shrub has delighted gardeners with its year-round interest and ease of care.
From the golden glow of Sunshine Ligustrum to the rich purples of Loropetalum varieties, each plant has added its unique charm to landscapes, creating a tapestry of colors and textures that define Southern gardening. Here’s to another year of growth, beauty, and Southern Living plants!