Need an idea for a firecracker of a 4th of July Centerpiece? Look no further than Uncle Sam’s jaunty tophat, gold ‘sparklers’ of dried flower seed heads and red, white, and blue blooms for some flag waving inspiration! See VIDEO with Linda Vater‘s creation below!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- One cylindrical shaped container (I used a $3 blue-striped canvas bucket from Target with a coffee can insert)
- Floral tape
- Dried allium and Queen Mum™ Agapanthus seed heads
- 1 can gold spray paint
- 4–5 white Hydrangea cones like Tara™ or White Wedding® or Moon Dance™
- 4–5 blue hydrangeas. I used ’Big Daddy’ and Dear Delores™
- 5 red Gerbera Daisies (or red flower of choice)
- 4–5 spires of Dark Blue Moody Blues™ Veronica
- Cake stand slightly larger in diameter than container to serve as the hat ‘brim’
- Small flags
- Spray paint dried seed heads in a well-ventilated area.
- Using floral tape, make a grid across the top of a coffee can to support the blooms
- Fill a container with cool water, then begin placing flowers. Start with hydrangea blooms around the edges, then place daisies and veronica
- Insert ‘sparklers’ and flags last
- Place the arrangement on top of the cake plate to complete your tophat! Cascading r, w, & b ribbon is a nice flourish.
To complete the tablescape:
- Dress the table in a red and white striped cloth
- Use inexpensive patriotic towels as napkins with cable clasps as napkin rings. Tuck in flatware and individual flags. (Our accessories came from Target.) Try your local dollar store for supplies.
- Red metal splatter-ware is practical and festive
- Blue glasses, a red pitcher and patriotic paper straws complete the look.
- Citronella candles in metal buckets help keep pesky mosquitoes at bay.
Add iced tea, hot dogs, potato salad, watermelon, and baked beans and you’ll have a spread Yankee Doodle would approve of!