Top 5 Plants to Warm Your Winter Soul
The winter garden has a subtle beauty all its own.
Planted along your favorite garden path or near a window, these winter jewels will warm your heart on a cold winter day.
A quiet peace blankets the landscape and a subdued backdrop of greens and browns accentuates unexpected treasures from frosted blooms to brilliant berries.
1. Bella Rouge™ Camellia: What better way to brighten a winter day than with soft ruffles of rosy red petals? With winter blooms and evergreen foliage, camellia is the plant to fend off winter blues. Each rosy blossom has a bright yellow center like a drop of golden sunshine.
2. ‘Marvel’ Mahonia: This stately shrub screams for attention as it erupts with sprays of yellow blooms in early winter. The fragrant flowers provide a reprise of summer and color the winter landscape in radiant hues. The plant itself is majestic, with gracefully-arching arms of deep-cut foliage radiating in whorls along upright stems. This evergreen is sure to make a statement.
3. Robin™ Holly: Brilliantly colored dark-red berries shine against deep green leaves for a stunning winter display. With a strong pyramidal form, Robin™ makes an outstanding specimen. Hollies are a flurry of activity in winter, sheltering and feeding a variety of birds that are sure to provide countless hours of entertainment.
4. ‘Kaleidoscope’ Abelia: A plant that shifts color with the seasons, ‘Kaleidoscope’ paints the winter garden in golden hues. The arching branches form a vibrant mound highlighted with red and orange accents. Mass this playful shrub in your entryway beds for a warm winter welcome.
5. Snow Joey™ Viburnum: Viburnums are quintessential winter shrubs with masses of bright-colored fruits that attract a diversity of birds. The bright red fruits of Snow Joey™ are no exception. Fruits hang in large clusters along bare winter branches. After dropping its leaves in fall, Snow Joey™ exposes dappled-gray bark and a graceful vase-like form.