By now most trees and shrubs have received their fill of fertilizer for the season. As summer breaks into full swing, lawns and food-producing plants take up a lot of nutrients and will benefit from additional fertilizer.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Blueberry: make your final application following harvest.
- Continue fertilizing vegetable crops as needed.
Trees and Shrubs
- Dogwood trees benefit from a second fertilizer application in early summer.
- Many shrubs also benefit from a second application: abelia, camellia, gardenia, hydrangea, and loropetalum.
- When making two applications to a plant in a season, split the total required amount of fertilizer evenly between the two applications to avoid over-feeding.
- Continue feeding warm-season grasses like Bermuda, zoysia grass, and St. Augustine.
- Do not fertilize cool-season grasses in the summer.
Pin to Your Board for Seasonal Reminders!